Re: CfC: Create Media Task Force

On Sat, Apr 21, 2012 at 1:12 PM, Adrian Bateman <adrianba@microsoft.com>wrote:

> I'm not convinced that binary APIs in User Agents between their
> implementation
> of the Encrypted Media API and their underlying approach to CDMs should be
> the
> focus of the W3C. This is like suggesting that NPAPI should be specified as
> part of the <object> element specification.

Had I been around at the time (and had sufficient foresight) I would
definitely have suggested that public NPAPI specs be the only approved way
for <object> to load plugins into the browser. (NPAPI spec work wasn't
public initially, but that was a mistake that eventually got fixed.)

ActiveX attempted to capture the Web with a vendor-specific,
platform-specific plugin framework. I don't want anything analogous to
happen with CDMs.

Rob
than others?" [Matthew 5:43-47]