Re: Restoring PUT and DELETE

From: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2011 22:51:41 +0100
To: Yehuda Katz <wycats@gmail.com>
CC: HTML WG <public-html@w3.org>
On 2011-11-30 22:19, Yehuda Katz wrote:
> Can we revisit the decision to remove the PUT and DELETE verbs from HTML5.
>
> The original rationale for removing it was a lack of use-cases[1], but
> that ticket has since grown a number of use-cases. In particular, my
> work with Rails, which involves us faking PUT and DELETE forms[2], is a
> good example of a large number of people wanting this feature and having
> to apply hacks to get it.

The problem isn't a lack of use cases but a lack of use cases with a
precise description about how the feature is going to work.

Examples would help a lot.

Questions that need to be answered are:

- which type of parameter encoding for each method

- which content types to support

- considerations about how this works cross-origin

- discussion how response codes, response payloads etc drive what the
browser is going to do (think 204 on DELETE, 201 on PUT, etc etc)

Best regards, Julian