Re: Adaptive images

From: Charl van Niekerk <charlvn@charlvn.com>
Date: Tue, 31 May 2011 14:58:17 +0200
To: Leonard Rosenthol <lrosenth@adobe.com>
Cc: Karl Dubost <karld@opera.com>, Leif Halvard Silli <xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no>, Dominique Hazael-Massieux <dom@w3.org>, "public-html@w3.org" <public-html@w3.org>
On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 3:34 AM, Leonard Rosenthol <lrosenth@adobe.com> wrote:
> That assumes a server and connection - but there are HTML5 UAs that will be working on local content (EPUB3, email, etc.) where all content is local and you need a mechanism that does NOT require a server on the other side.

Client-side and server-side image/etc scaling can co-exist of course.
As far as I'm aware, the main argument for server-side scaling at the
moment is bandwidth efficiency, which mainly affects mobile devices.
With the increased capacity on mobile networks though due to advances
in wireless technology, I don't know for how long this is still valid.
We will probably want to move all possible processing to the client as
while server resources are (relatively) heavily used, client-side
processing resources are mostly wasted.