Re: General Questions on HTML5 Link Relations, Registries, etc.

From: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>
Date: Wed, 18 May 2011 18:37:30 +0300
To: public-html@w3.org
On Wed, 2011-05-18 at 11:13 -0400, mike amundsen wrote:
> Finally, I currently know of four registries that contain some level
> of Link Relation content:
> IANA - http://www.iana.org/assignments/link-relations/link-relations.xml
> Microformats - http://microformats.org/wiki/existing-rel-values
> Paramsr.us - http://paramsr.us/link-relation-types/
> Dublink Core - http://dublincore.org/documents/dcq-html/
> Are there others I have not listed here that should be considered?
> Should these registries be viewed as a related? a co-operating group?
> at odds with each other? From the HTML5 POV, should one or more list
> be viewed as "sanctioned" or canonical while others should be viewed
> as "rogue" or contrary to standards?

Only http://microformats.org/wiki/existing-rel-values is referenced from
http://dev.w3.org/html5/spec/links.html#other-link-types . Thus, the
others have no bearing on HTML5.

As for the content of http://microformats.org/wiki/existing-rel-values ,
right now the vast majority of the link types documented there are not
registered with all the data
http://dev.w3.org/html5/spec/links.html#other-link-types requires
registrations to have, so the pre-existing content on the wiki that
doesn't meet the formalities required by HTML5 has to be considered not
to constitute registrations at this time.

Henri Sivonen