Re: ISSUE-31 and ISSUE-80 - Straw Poll A for Objections

Maciej Stachowiak, Wed, 30 Mar 2011 14:32:27 -0700:
> On Mar 30, 2011, at 8:13 AM, Leif Halvard Silli wrote:
>> Paul Cotton, Tue, 29 Mar 2011 19:03:54 +0000:
>>> ISSUE-31 and ISSUE-80 - Straw Poll A for Objections

>> This must be the most confusing poll ever. And the presentation of the
>> options is questionable:
>>
>> None of the options unpermit @title in any case. (It would be logical
>> if they did for the role=presentation case, but none of them discuss
>> this, it seems.) But despite that fact, you make it seem - in this
>> letter and in the poll - as if in particular Req Set 5/6 unpermits
>> @title unless there is a non-empty @alt.
>>
>> It is the opposite way: in Req Set 5/6, then @title triggers a need for
>> a non-empty @alt. What the poll is really about is which - if any -
>> conditions that take away the need for an @alt attribute. As the
>> summary page states:
>
> You are correct that the question wording is off.

I'm glad to hear we agree on this.

> I updated the poll
> wording. This is now the wording for the title attribute:

The above sounds as an improvement.

Very good.

> Does this address your concerns?

This is OK.

Will you explain/Have you explained @aria-labelledby in the same way?
Namely: do we accept that relaxed restriction on the use of @alt when
@aria-labelledby is used? And ditto for role=presentation, except that
here the opposite is the question: do we accept the @alt to be
non-empty when role=presentation is set?

> Note: the chairs are hesitant to reorganize the poll questions
> completely, unless there are WG members who truly feel they cannot
> sensibly respond to the current poll.

See above. But else, I will try a good-will reading.
--
Leif Halvard Silli