Re: Specifying longdesc to make it more useful, robust, and encourage better user agent implementation

From: Joshue O Connor <joshue.oconnor@cfit.ie>
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2011 16:36:54 +0000
To: Laura Carlson <laura.lee.carlson@gmail.com>
CC: HTML WG <public-html@w3.org>, Steve Faulkner <sfaulkner@paciellogroup.com>, Paul Cotton <Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com>, Charles McCathieNevile <chaals@opera.com>, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>, Geoff Freed <geoff_freed@wgbh.org>, HTML Accessibility Task Force <public-html-a11y@w3.org>, W3C WAI-XTECH <wai-xtech@w3.org>, html4all <list@html4all.org>, w3c-wai-ua <w3c-wai-ua@w3.org>
On 14/03/2011 17:12, Laura Carlson wrote:
> Hello Everyone,
>
> On March 10, 2011, Steve wrote [1]:
>
>> If longdesc is included in HTML5 but fails to be specced/implemented
>> to be useful and robust then it will be a failure.
>
> On March 13, 2011, Paul wrote [2]:
>
>> At the March 3 A11Y TF meeting I encouraged TF participants to
>> work with WG members that were originally on the prevailing
>> side of ISSUE-30 to see if it might be possible to get consensus
>> within the WG even before May.  The Chairs will certainly NOT
>> stand in opposition to a clear sense of consensus on any issue
>> at any time.
>
> I have been thinking about what Steve and Paul said.
>
> So how could longdesc be specified to make it more useful and more
> robust and encourage more implementation?

FWIW, before *any* further solution is engineered @longdesc should be
conforming and valid and a first class citizen in HTML 5.

My 2 cents

Josh