From: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>
To: Charles McCathieNevile <chaals@opera.com>
Cc: Richard Schwerdtfeger/Austin/IBM@IBMUS, Cameron McCormack
            <cam@mcc.id.au>, Charles Pritchard <chuck@jumis.com>, Cynthia
            Shelly <cyns@microsoft.com>, david.bolter@gmail.com, Frank
            Olivier <Frank.Olivier@microsoft.com>, Mike@w3.org,
            public-canvas-api@w3.org, public-html@w3.org,
            public-html-a11y@w3.org
Date: 06/28/2011 02:01 PM
Subject: Re: hit testing and retained graphics
Sent by: public-html-request@w3.org

On Mon, Jun 27, 2011 at 4:20 AM, Charles McCathieNevile
<chaals@opera.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Jun 2011 22:28:32 +0200, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>>>
>>> I think it would but we would need to incorporate Z order and a notion
of
>>> the last drawn element to compute which element is on top. The user
agent
>>> would need to manage this.
>>
>> You are attempting to recreate a retained-mode API in an
>> immediate-mode API.  Why is "use SVG" not sufficient for this?
>
> Because people don't - they use canvas instead. If that were not the
case,
> the whole effort to specify canvas would be solving a theoretical
problem.

That's not a useful answer.  <canvas> is used for lots of things, of
which only a subset are better done in a retained-mode API, of which
only a subset are reasonably handled by mapping clicks into a DOM
node.

I elaborated my objection to this approach in a later email.  This
development thrust seems to be happening without any clear use-cases
to address, and with a preference for minimally-invasive edits to the
2d canvas context.  These seem very likely to give a bad result that
doesn't solve anything well.

I don't think we'll come up with a *good* result until we have clear
use-cases that we can then solve.

~TJ