Re: hit testing and retained graphics

On Mon, Jun 20, 2011 at 5:07 PM, Charles Pritchard <chuck@jumis.com> wrote:
> I've concerns about this approach. It would mean the sub-tree is no longer
> separably viewable -- though not implemented at the moment, it is still an
> option.

I strongly agree that preventing the sub-tree being separably viewable
is problematic, indeed to the point of it being a non-starter. The
sub-tree was intended to act as an alternative for canvas like @alt is
for "img". Making it nonsensical in complex cases would discourage UAs
from making it viewable. This would prevent, for example, a user with
at least some sight and images and canvas disabled from getting access
to consistent text equivalents. This would break the specified use of
"canvas" as a dynamic
version of "img".

> A clickable area is more like an SVG path, not a CSS box.

Also true.

--
Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis