Re: Normative status of author-only view of the HTML5 specification

From: Leif Halvard Silli <xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no>
Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2011 22:48:50 +0200
To: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
Cc: public-html@w3.org
Maciej Stachowiak, Sat, 11 Jun 2011 10:41:59 -0700:
> let's take extended discussion of the WHATWG and its history off of
> the public-html list.

> Mentioning the existence of the WHATWG spec was
> somewhat relevant to the thread,

And it is interesting that Tab's off-list message had one answer to
Steve's question:

Steve Faulkner, Sat, 11 Jun 2011 08:35:53 +0100:
> Hi Jonas,
>>So we should state that if anything is left undefined in the authors
>>document, but the HTML5 spec defines normative requirements, then the
>>HTML5 specs normative requirements are the ones that apply.
> What is to be done about differences in normative requirements
> between HTML5 and the HTML living standard?
> which one is authoritative in case of conflict?

What I think we can also say is that it is likely to be easier to
handle normative questions that could arrise w.r.t. specificiations
that this WG produce - unlike with a competing spec from another WG, we
have the power to keep our own documents in sync. It is only
technicalities when they are not.
Leif Halvard Silli