Re: Normative status of author-only view of the HTML5 specification

On 06/01/2011 04:36 PM, Noah Mendelsohn wrote:
> Paul,
>
> I am writing to follow up on the status of the author-only view of the
> HTML5 specification, the document now known as the: "HTML5 Edition for
> Web Authors". In November of 2010, the working group propsed [2] and the
> TAG agreed that carrying forward the author view >as a normative
> reference< would be an acceptable compromise to resolve the TAG's
> concerns regarding availability of a language reference for HTML5.
>
> The TAG is therefore concerned and disappointed to find that the version
> published as part of the recent Last Call [2] is clearly labeled as
> "non-normative". I hope this was merely a clerical error or other
> misunderstanding, but in any case I would be grateful if you would
> clarify the situation.
>
> Thank you very much.

In addition to the question as to the normative nature of this document,
it appears that we overlooked ever making a FPWD of this document.  If
after a brief period of discussion there does not appear to be any
insurmountable issues, I plan to issue a CfC on this matter.

> Noah Mendelsohn
> for the W3C Technical Architecture Group
>
> [1] http://www.w3.org/TR/2011/WD-html5-20110525/author/
> [2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2010Nov/0055.html

- Sam Ruby