Normative status of author-only view of the HTML5 specification

From: Noah Mendelsohn <nrm@arcanedomain.com>
Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2011 20:36:53 +0000
To: Paul Cotton <Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com>
CC: "public-html@w3.org" <public-html@w3.org>, "www-tag@w3.org" <www-tag@w3.org>
Paul,

I am writing to follow up on the status of the author-only view of the
HTML5 specification, the document now known as the: "HTML5 Edition for Web
Authors".  In November of 2010, the working group propsed [2] and the TAG
agreed that carrying forward the author view >as a normative reference<
would be an acceptable compromise to resolve the TAG's concerns regarding
availability of a language reference for HTML5.

The TAG is therefore concerned and disappointed to find that the version
published as part of the recent Last Call [2] is clearly labeled as
"non-normative". I hope this was merely a clerical error or other
misunderstanding, but in any case I would be grateful if you would clarify
the situation.

Thank you very much.

Noah Mendelsohn
for the W3C Technical Architecture Group

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/2011/WD-html5-20110525/author/
[2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2010Nov/0055.html