Re: Adaptive images

On Thu, 02 Jun 2011 00:36:55 +0200, Charl van Niekerk
<charlvn@charlvn.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 1, 2011 at 4:08 AM, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com> wrote:
>> I don't think any solution along the lines of "read from server and
>> stop early" cuts it either, because latency is high on modern cellular
>> networks in proportion to the bandwidth, so if I cut off the server
>> connection early, my incoming bandwidth has already been wasted.
>
> That might be true but the unfortunate reality is that many mobile
> network providers still bill their customers on a per-MB basis or
> enforce a certain monthly data "cap".

Actually, this is the case for a large proportion of landline customers as
well. Images on mobile are the pointy end of the discussion, but the same
thing happens on video - where currently people get some site-specific UI
to switch between different versions.

> Many customers do not have
> restrictive plans though so the ideal would be if the user can
> configure his/her agent to either optimise for latency or bandwidth
> efficiency on an individual basis. This decision could also be
> automated under certain circumstances, for example when the user is on
> a low-bandwidth connection or roaming outside of the normal service
> area.

See Opera Turbo for an example of doing this via a proxy service.

cheers