Re: Adaptive images

From: Charl van Niekerk <charlvn@charlvn.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2011 00:36:55 +0200
To: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
Cc: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>, Leonard Rosenthol <lrosenth@adobe.com>, Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>, Karl Dubost <karld@opera.com>, "public-html@w3.org" <public-html@w3.org>
On Wed, Jun 1, 2011 at 4:08 AM, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com> wrote:
> I don't think any solution along the lines of "read from server and stop early" cuts it either, because latency is high on modern cellular networks in proportion to the bandwidth, so if I cut off the server connection early, my incoming bandwidth has already been wasted.

That might be true but the unfortunate reality is that many mobile
network providers still bill their customers on a per-MB basis or
enforce a certain monthly data "cap". Many customers do not have
restrictive plans though so the ideal would be if the user can
configure his/her agent to either optimise for latency or bandwidth
efficiency on an individual basis. This decision could also be
automated under certain circumstances, for example when the user is on
a low-bandwidth connection or roaming outside of the normal service
area.