Re: Adaptive images

From: Kornel Lesiński <kornel@geekhood.net>
Date: Thu, 02 Jun 2011 12:20:42 +0100
To: public-html@w3.org
On Wed, 01 Jun 2011 22:57:55 +0100, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
wrote:

>> What about when the user zooms in on the image with an iPhone 3G?
>> Wouldn't the user want the sharper image then?
>
> This rarely comes up. Usually the user is either looking at the site
> zoomed out, or panning around in true 1 to 1 size, or the site is
> designed to fit in one screen width without zooming in or out.

Being locked to 1:1 is my huge gripe with Flickr mobile website. On
touchscreen phone I want and expect double-tap to usefully zoom in an
image — that's how it should be. The status-quo is that it doesn't really
work, but I think it's due to lack of easy way to implement it and the
fact that sites are built using design patterns borrowed from keypad
phone/desktop design.

There's similar use-case on desktop: I'd like 90dpi images to be replaced
with 300dpi variants before print.

--
regards, porneL