Re: Adaptive images

On Wed, 01 Jun 2011 11:14:03 +0100, Simon Pieters <simonp@opera.com> wrote:

>> True - but ONLY if the user zooms.  And you don't know ahead of time if
>> the user will do that :(.
>
> Indeed. However, with the stop early approach you can stop with very low
> resolution for all images if the user starts in overview view, and then
> only load more when the user zooms into "normal" zoom view for images
> that are in view, which I would expect would save more bandwidth
> compared to author-supplied "normal res" and "high res" dual images.

I don't think stop-early approach is good enough:

- author cannot provide properly anti-aliased subsampled images. While
this might be OK for photos, it will cause aliased edges and missing thin
lines in line art.

- HTTP and TCP/IP flow control are not fine-grained enough to stop
download exactly at the point where desired amount of detail is
downloaded. Clients may end up getting a lot more or even whole image even
if they try to stop the download (i.e. even when you close the connection
immediately, by the time server notices it, the rest of the image may have
been sent already).

--
regards, Kornel Lesiński