Re: CfC: close ISSUE-125 charset-vs-quotes by amicable resolution

On 22.01.2011 16:29, Anne van Kesteren wrote:
> On Tue, 18 Jan 2011 17:35:44 +0100, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
> wrote:
>> If we accept that the rules should be the same as in HTTP we should
>> just reference HTTP instead so it is more clear the same code path can
>> be used.
>
> I have now tested the Content-Type header in HTTP and it appears the
> majority of distinct browser engines supports single quotes there. Given

Ah, "majority of distinct browser engines"; a new measure :-).

> that single quotes and double quotes can be used interchangeably all
> over the Web Platform changing HTTP would be a far more pragmatic way
> forward here I think.

A) please share what you actually tested

B) changing HTTP would break IE, for instance (see
<http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/attachment.cgi?id=916> for the parsing in
header field). It would probably break many other non-browser HTTP
agents/libraries.

What I'm really missing is a statement about WHY you would ever consider
something "required for compatibility with existing content" when IE
doesn't do it. Please elaborate.

Best regards, Julian