Re: Request to reopen HTML-ISSUE-30

From: Edward O'Connor <eoconnor@apple.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2011 10:09:09 -0800
To: HTML WG <public-html@w3.org>
Hi Laura,

You wrote:

> This is the data:
> http://www.d.umn.edu/~lcarlson/research/ld.html

This is really well put together, thanks! I'm looking through this,
trying to find information that was unavailable to the Working Group at
the time of the ISSUE-30 decision.

* In general, Working Group participants were aware that some web
  authors have managed to use longdesc="" correctly, so I so far haven't
  learned anything new in the Examples In the Wild section.

* Use Cases: this is awesome, thanks for pulling these together. While
  these use cases are certainly much more fleshed-out than in the
  original ISSUE-30 proposal[1], I think the spirit of them was covered
  in the original issue. All eight use cases are handled in the spec as
  it currently is, either via aria-describedby="" or other mechanisms.

In conclusion, while I really appreciate the level of care and effort
you've obviously put into this effort, it's not clear to me that there's
any substantially new information available at this time.

--
Edward O'Connor
eoconnor@apple.com

1. http://www.w3.org/html/wg/wiki/index.php?title=LongdescRetention&oldid=7521#Use_Cases