Re: ISSUE-140 CPP — no conformance versions

From: Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net>
Date: Sun, 06 Feb 2011 14:49:35 -0500
To: Aryeh Gregor <Simetrical+w3c@gmail.com>
CC: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>, HTML WG <public-html@w3.org>
On 02/06/2011 01:55 PM, Aryeh Gregor wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 6, 2011 at 8:19 AM, Anne van Kesteren<annevk@opera.com>  wrote:
>> Rationale: As previously resolved HTML is a language without versions.
>> Introducing versions for conformance goes against this idea and will give
>> the impression there is a difference between an "HTML5 conforming document"
>> and an "HTML6 conforming document".
>
> In the W3C, there is going to be a standard called "HTML5" and
> presumably some standard later on called "HTML6", so these will indeed
> be two distinct concepts.  The W3C Process forces us to have versions
> of the specs themselves, even though the WG decided that versions
> won't be reflected anywhere in the markup.

I encourage people to read the decision:

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2010Dec/0135.html

The intention was to narrowly scope the decision.  Not only did we not
intend to decide whether or not "HTML is a language without versions",
we made no decision as to what "HTML6" (if such is ever created) may or
may not include.

- Sam Ruby