Re: ISSUE-140 CPP — no conformance versions

From: Edward O'Connor <hober0@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2011 11:12:07 -0800
To: Aryeh Gregor <Simetrical+w3c@gmail.com>
Cc: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>, HTML WG <public-html@w3.org>
> In the W3C, there is going to be a standard called "HTML5" and
> presumably some standard later on called "HTML6", so these will indeed
> be two distinct concepts.  The W3C Process forces us to have versions
> of the specs themselves, even though the WG decided that versions
> won't be reflected anywhere in the markup.

True.

> So we need some way to
> distinguish between conformance to the HTML5 specification, which will
> be frozen and obsolescent pretty soon, and conformance to the HTML6
> specification (or 5.1 or whatever we decide to call it), which will be
> the correct one to refer to once HTML5 is frozen.

Certainly conformance checkers could provide a method to check for
conformance to a specific revision of the HTML specification. So when
you say "we need some way to distinguish", what comes to mind is
conformance checking. But I don't think we need to change anything in
the HTML5 spec in order to enable conformance checkers to provide such
a feature.

Ted