RE: ISSUE-140 CPP — no conformance versions

From: Leonard Rosenthol <lrosenth@adobe.com>
Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2011 11:07:54 -0800
To: "'Aryeh Gregor'" <Simetrical+w3c@gmail.com>, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
CC: HTML WG <public-html@w3.org>
>So we need some way to
>distinguish between conformance to the HTML5 specification, which will be frozen ... pretty soon,
>and conformance to the HTML6 specification (or 5.1 or whatever we decide to call it),

Couldn't agree more!  Glad you hear to feel that way as well.

>which will be the correct one to refer to once HTML5 is frozen.

That's a personal opinion and not a global fact.

BUT I agree that the whole point of having the versioning component is that any person, organization, government agency, etc. can then choose WHATEVER VERSION they want - be it a previous/older version or the "latest and greatest".   But w/o a version identifier (of some form), it would be impossible to do so.

Leonard