Re: ISSUE-145 codecs-vs-octet - Chairs Solicit Alternate Proposals or Counter-Proposals

From: Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net>
Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2011 10:39:00 -0500
To: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
CC: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>, HTML WG <public-html@w3.org>
On 02/04/2011 10:20 AM, Julian Reschke wrote:
> On 04.02.2011 16:08, Anne van Kesteren wrote:
>> Right, this is exactly my problem. Not everyone likes the status quo,
>> but you oppose radically changing the status quo in favor of a more
>> minor change and only allow voting on the minor change. The "consensus"
>> might end up being that minor change or no change. And then of course a
>> radical change introduced later will undermine that "consensus", except
>> consensus was never there to begin with.
>  > ...

Anne, you previously agreed to this process.  If you have a problem with
the process itself, I encourage you to write up a bug report.

> I do not oppose at all. All I'm saying is that if you want a radical
> change, you should raise a bug for that change.

+1

I previously stated such[1].  Maciej has stated that informally he
agrees[2].  At the present time, it seems highly likely that we will not
entertain the NoVideoContentType content type proposal at this time.  If
a bug is filed and the resolution of that bug is not satisfactory this
could lead to a Last Call issue and ultimately to decision.

I see zero reason to halt progress on this issue speculatively because
of something that might or might not happen at some point in the future.

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2011Jan/0415.html
[2] http://www.w3.org/2011/02/03-html-wg-minutes.html