Re: updated change proposal for issue 129 ARIA in HTML5

From: Stephen Stewart <carisenda@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2011 23:46:42 +0000
To: Steve Faulkner <faulkner.steve@gmail.com>
Cc: HTMLWG WG <public-html@w3.org>, HTML Accessibility Task Force <public-html-a11y@w3.org>
Hi,

The section on hgroup[1] caught my eye, it seems to me to use a bad example:

<hgroup>
<h2>The problem</h2>
<h3>Analysis</h3>
</hgroup>

This seems to define two sections, Problem and Analysis ("The problem
Analysis" is very clumsy so it seems more likely to be two headings).
hgroup is for headlines which associate n+1 H1-6 elements with one
section, not two. If I were to substitute a more correct example I
think most of the problems disappear in this section as per the
author's own logic:

<hgroup>
<h2>Clinton Acquitted</h2>
<h3>Perjury, obstruction charges defeated</h3>
</hgroup>

Taking away the layout that should read as "Clinton
Acquitted<beat>Perjury, obstruction charges defeated", there are no
internal semantics to convey other than the order of the words.

[1] http://www.w3.org/html/wg/wiki/ChangeProposals/ARIAinHTML5#basis_for_defining_h1_to_h6_element_that_does_have_an_hgroup_ancestor

HTH,
Stephen

--