Re: Call for a poll of the html wg on removal of hgroup was Re: review of hgroup element prior to last call.

From: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2011 11:11:04 -0800
Cc: 'Steve Faulkner' <faulkner.steve@gmail.com>, 'Paul Cotton' <Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com>, 'HTMLWG WG' <public-html@w3.org>, 'Sam Ruby' <rubys@intertwingly.net>
To: John Foliot <jfoliot@stanford.edu>

On Feb 1, 2011, at 11:08 AM, John Foliot wrote:

> Steve Faulkner wrote:
>
>>> Since hgroup has been in the draft for a long
>>> time with no significant changes, we are not going to treat this as a
>>> post-cutoff change that reduces consensus.
>>
>> if there is broad agreement that the hgroup text should be removed how is
>
>> that reducing consensus?
>>
>>> If we have a poll on this topic, it will at best be advisory.
>>> Since hgroup has been in the draft for a long
>>> time with no significant changes, we are not going to treat this as a
>>> post-cutoff change that reduces consensus.
>>
>> would have useful to know that the chairs will not allow the html working
>
>> group members to make any decisions of this nature in one of the earlier
>> emails directed at the chairs on this issue.
>
> While I agree procedurally that this is more likely a post-Last Call issue
> rather than a pre-Last Call issue, does it make it any less of an issue?
> Conceptually, isn't Last Call the time to shake out these kinds of issues
> and problems? Strikes me that before moving from Last Call to Candidate
> Recommendation that this will need to be discussed and addressed, and
> consensus formed around the issue no matter when in the actual process it
> is done.

That's definitely the case, and we intent to apply the decision policy as usual. If the bug report on this ends up escalated to a tracker issue, we will treat it as a Last Call issue.  All I'm saying is that we do not intend to do anything special outside the bounds of the usual process.

Regards,
Maciej