Re: longdesc - beside the box

From: Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis <bhawkeslewis@googlemail.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2011 10:16:32 +0100
To: Leif Halvard Silli <xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no>
Cc: John Foliot <jfoliot@stanford.edu>, HTMLWG WG <public-html@w3.org>
On Tue, Apr 26, 2011 at 2:57 AM, Leif Halvard Silli
> iCab does show a "default visual encumbrance" for images with @longdesc.

The user has to take a special action (hovering over the image) to display the
encumbrance (a cursor change), so it's not "default".

If we accepted iCab's behavior as a "default visual encumbrance", we'd need
to reject all Laura's examples of long descriptions with "No Forced Visual
Encumbrance or Default Visual Indicator".

http://www.d.umn.edu/~lcarlson/research/ld.html#noclutter

All discoverable metadata can be made visible. The actions required to do this
range from trivial (hovering) to hard (writing a custom scraper). But
don't confuse
"easily discoverable metadata" with visible data.

--
Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis