Re: longdesc - beside the box

From: Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis <bhawkeslewis@googlemail.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2011 10:16:32 +0100
To: Leif Halvard Silli <xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no>
Cc: John Foliot <jfoliot@stanford.edu>, HTMLWG WG <public-html@w3.org>
On Tue, Apr 26, 2011 at 2:57 AM, Leif Halvard Silli
> iCab does show a "default visual encumbrance" for images with @longdesc.

The user has to take a special action (hovering over the image) to display the
encumbrance (a cursor change), so it's not "default".

If we accepted iCab's behavior as a "default visual encumbrance", we'd need
to reject all Laura's examples of long descriptions with "No Forced Visual
Encumbrance or Default Visual Indicator".

All discoverable metadata can be made visible. The actions required to do this
range from trivial (hovering) to hard (writing a custom scraper). But
don't confuse
"easily discoverable metadata" with visible data.

Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis