Re: New approach to HTML Media Capture

From: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2011 19:56:06 +0000 (UTC)
To: Aryeh Gregor <Simetrical+w3c@gmail.com>
Cc: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>, David Singer <singer@apple.com>, Dominique Hazael-Massieux <dom@w3.org>, public-html@w3.org
On Fri, 22 Apr 2011, Aryeh Gregor wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 21, 2011 at 7:14 PM, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch> wrote:
> > For something like Google Goggles, you want video, not a photograph.
>
> Are we talking about different things?  On my Android phone, the
> Google Goggles app takes still photographs, not videos.

That's what it looks like it's doing, but it's not what's happening. Try
pointing a recent version at a bar code. Notice that the app reacts
without additional user interaction.

In Web terms, that means the app is using a video stream (getUserMedia())
not a photograph (<input type=file ...>).

> There's no problem in making both available, as long as it doesn't
> distract or confuse the user.  At a minimum, authors will in some cases
> legitimately want to tell the UA which input mechanism to emphasize, for
> UI quality reasons.  Good UI will direct the user toward the most likely
> action and will not offer alternatives (at least not prominently) that
> the user is very unlikely to want.
>
> From the perspective of what the user is technically able to do, this
> feature is not needed, but for a user experience that matches native
> apps, it is.

That's fair enough.

Do browsers implement anything like this yet?

What was the reasoning behind moving from a parameter to a separate
attribute?