Re: New approach to HTML Media Capture

On Apr 21, 2011, at 12:31 , Aryeh Gregor wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 19, 2011 at 1:24 PM, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch> wrote:
>> I still don't understand what problem this is solving.
>
> Use case: I want to write a web page that does simultaneous
> translation of spoken language, targeted primarily at mobile phone
> users.  Although it's possible that some users will want to upload
> files they've saved, the overwhelming majority of users will want to
> use their microphone to translate something they're hearing in real
> time.  I need the microphone opt-in to be prominent and obvious to
> users, not obscure or optional.
>
> Use case: I want to write a web page that does photo analysis, similar
> to Google Goggles, targeted primarily at mobile phone users.  Although
> it's possible that some users will want to upload files they've saved,
> the overwhelming majority of users will want to use their camera to
> take a picture of something they want more info about right now.  I
> need the camera opt-in to be prominent and obvious to users, not
> obscure or optional.

In both of these cases, it seems that the service is saying "I want a WAV audio file" or "I want a JPEG picture", and maybe the browser could suggest/offer, as part of its dialog "heh, you canna capture a new one rather than finding an existing file?", rather than have the service 'decide' that what it really wants is a new capture.

David Singer