W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-html@w3.org > April 2011

Re: New approach to HTML Media Capture

From: David Singer <singer@apple.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2011 10:08:47 -0700
Cc: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>, Dominique Hazael-Massieux <dom@w3.org>, public-html@w3.org
Message-id: <5F8770DE-E897-48D6-8749-A1B8112C7B29@apple.com>
To: Aryeh Gregor <Simetrical+w3c@gmail.com>

On Apr 21, 2011, at 12:31 , Aryeh Gregor wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 19, 2011 at 1:24 PM, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch> wrote:
>> I still don't understand what problem this is solving.
> 
> Use case: I want to write a web page that does simultaneous
> translation of spoken language, targeted primarily at mobile phone
> users.  Although it's possible that some users will want to upload
> files they've saved, the overwhelming majority of users will want to
> use their microphone to translate something they're hearing in real
> time.  I need the microphone opt-in to be prominent and obvious to
> users, not obscure or optional.
> 
> Use case: I want to write a web page that does photo analysis, similar
> to Google Goggles, targeted primarily at mobile phone users.  Although
> it's possible that some users will want to upload files they've saved,
> the overwhelming majority of users will want to use their camera to
> take a picture of something they want more info about right now.  I
> need the camera opt-in to be prominent and obvious to users, not
> obscure or optional.

In both of these cases, it seems that the service is saying "I want a WAV audio file" or "I want a JPEG picture", and maybe the browser could suggest/offer, as part of its dialog "heh, you canna capture a new one rather than finding an existing file?", rather than have the service 'decide' that what it really wants is a new capture.


David Singer
Multimedia and Software Standards, Apple Inc.
Received on Friday, 22 April 2011 17:09:16 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Wednesday, 9 May 2012 00:17:28 GMT