Re: False aria-describedby expectations in ARIA Authoring Practices (longdesc)

From: Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2011 15:10:39 -0700
To: Leif Halvard Silli <xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no>
Cc: Steve Faulkner <faulkner.steve@gmail.com>, Michael Cooper <cooper@w3.org>, Joseph Scheuhammer <clown@alum.mit.edu>, W3C WAI-XTECH <wai-xtech@w3.org>, HTMLwg <public-html@w3.org>, Richard Schwerdtfeger <schwer@us.ibm.com>, David Bolter <dbolter@mozilla.com>
On Fri, Apr 22, 2011 at 2:28 PM, Leif Halvard Silli
> Jonas Sicking, Fri, 22 Apr 2011 14:08:08 -0700:
>>
>> For example, it would be trivial to make it such that aria-describedby
>> pointing to a link acts *exactly* like longdesc for AT users. In fact,
>> I wrote a patch in about 30 minutes to do so. The hardest part is
>> getting spec authors to agree on what the desired behavior is.
>
> How did you workaround the fact that @aria-describedby can take
> multiple idrefs, including multiple anchor elements?

For now it just grabs the first one that is an actual link. I.e. the
first idref that points to an <a> or <area> which has a href
attribute. But it'd be easy to make make it take action on all links
(we currently take action by opening a new window, so we'd simply open
multiple windows). Alternatively it looked like we could let the user
choose which one, but I need confirmation from someone that knows our
code better.

/ Jonas