Re: Longdesc - broader UA implementation (was: longdesc)

From: Karl Dubost <karld@opera.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2011 15:56:16 -0400
Cc: "'HTMLWG WG'" <public-html@w3.org>, Laura Carlson <laura.lee.carlson@gmail.com>, Steve Faulkner <faulkner.steve@gmail.com>, Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis <bhawkeslewis@googlemail.com>, Janina Sajka <janina@rednote.net>, Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net>, Paul Cotton <Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com>, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
To: Leif Halvard Silli <xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no>
Leif,

Le 6 avr. 2011 à 19:07, Leif Halvard Silli a écrit :
> the same way. Given that @cite is part of HTML5, I would hope that big
> browser vendors (with the exception of Henri [0]) already *are* also
> interesting in implementing @cite support?

I created QuoteLink [1], an Opera extension, which also supports [3] cite attribute.
It can be certainly improved. I didn't find time yet to fix a few bugs and/or UI improvements. (any suggestions [2] are welcome) But this gives you an additional implementation at least.

For what is worth, cite attribute is accepting URIs. http:// links will be fine, but it might be the case where the URI will be a URN. It means it is possible to create URIs such as

	…

In my implementation, I made the choice to translate it as a link to the Open Library

	http://openlibrary.org/isbn/9782912667700

This is the main difficulty of implementing cite attribute. Probably it would be better to have an option giving the user the chance to associate the urn: with specific services of their choices.

[1]: https://addons.opera.com/developer/status/quotelink/
[2]: https://github.com/karlcow/QuoteLink/issues
[3]: http://www.la-grange.net/2011/01/06/quoteLink

--