Re: Longdesc - broader UA implementation (was: longdesc)

From: Karl Dubost <karld@opera.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2011 15:56:16 -0400
Cc: "'HTMLWG WG'" <public-html@w3.org>, Laura Carlson <laura.lee.carlson@gmail.com>, Steve Faulkner <faulkner.steve@gmail.com>, Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis <bhawkeslewis@googlemail.com>, Janina Sajka <janina@rednote.net>, Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net>, Paul Cotton <Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com>, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
To: Leif Halvard Silli <xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no>

Le 6 avr. 2011 à 19:07, Leif Halvard Silli a écrit :
> the same way. Given that @cite is part of HTML5, I would hope that big
> browser vendors (with the exception of Henri [0]) already *are* also
> interesting in implementing @cite support?

I created QuoteLink [1], an Opera extension, which also supports [3] cite attribute.
It can be certainly improved. I didn't find time yet to fix a few bugs and/or UI improvements. (any suggestions [2] are welcome) But this gives you an additional implementation at least.

For what is worth, cite attribute is accepting URIs. http:// links will be fine, but it might be the case where the URI will be a URN. It means it is possible to create URIs such as

In my implementation, I made the choice to translate it as a link to the Open Library

This is the main difficulty of implementing cite attribute. Probably it would be better to have an option giving the user the chance to associate the urn: with specific services of their choices.

[1]: https://addons.opera.com/developer/status/quotelink/
[2]: https://github.com/karlcow/QuoteLink/issues
[3]: http://www.la-grange.net/2011/01/06/quoteLink

Karl Dubost - http://dev.opera.com/