Re: Systematic access to media/plugin metadata

On Apr 12, 2011, at 1:25 PM, Danny Ayers wrote:

> On 12 April 2011 22:13, Eric Carlson <eric.carlson@apple.com> wrote:
>
>>  First, meta-data is stored and interpreted differently in different media file formats so this would have to be done for every format.
>
> This doesn't necessarily follow, in fact I'd turn it around - if there
> was a generic API for access to metadata, the material could be
> exposed consistently for any formats that were supported.
>
>> Therefore I it is out of scope for the HTML WG.
>
> There is already a model specified for media elements, for example a
> media element may have text tracks which have labels. This is
> specified without dependence on any specific formats. The same
> approach could easily be extended to include other pieces of metadata.

  My point was that as far as I know, no media file format has a standard way to mark a text track as a "transcript". Therefore the media format specific metadata has to be defined, eg. what 'udta' or 'meta' value signals a transcript in a QuickTime/MPEG-4 file, before the HTML WG can define a mapping to it.

eric