Re: Systematic access to media/plugin metadata

From: Danny Ayers <danny.ayers@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2011 22:25:16 +0200
To: Eric Carlson <eric.carlson@apple.com>
Cc: Laura Carlson <laura.lee.carlson@gmail.com>, Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>, Silvia Pfeiffer <silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com>, "public-html@w3.org" <public-html@w3.org>
On 12 April 2011 22:13, Eric Carlson <eric.carlson@apple.com> wrote:

>  First, meta-data is stored and interpreted differently in different media file formats so this would have to be done for every format.

This doesn't necessarily follow, in fact I'd turn it around - if there
was a generic API for access to metadata, the material could be
exposed consistently for any formats that were supported.

> Therefore I it is out of scope for the HTML WG.

There is already a model specified for media elements, for example a
media element may have text tracks which have labels. This is
specified without dependence on any specific formats. The same
approach could easily be extended to include other pieces of metadata.

Cheers,
Danny.

--
http://danny.ayers.name