RE: Mozilla Proposal for HTML5 Spec Licence

Hi Gerv,

I hate being in this position of advocating for an imperfect license for W3C. My heart and mind are with the open source and Creative Commons philosophies, and so I have always supported the freedom to create *any* derivative works -- subject to license conditions. (But I don't like the public domain solution! [1]) Here in W3C I'm now arguing for a compromise that doesn't *guarantee* our right to fork. I'm torn between what I wish would happen and the present limitations of the real commercial IP world.

For the past few years I've been listening to the demands of many in W3C and PSIG that forking of HTML5 industry specifications (in a derivative works sense) should be restricted. I personally see no reason to impose such restrictions, noting that open source software has thrived without it. I've also argued that such restrictions are, as a matter of copyright law, essentially unenforceable anyway in the context of functional software standards. But convincing all W3C contributors and members of the inherent justice of that principle of freedom has proven impossible. Even our erstwhile friends (I name no names because of W3C confidentiality rules) are afraid of giving away too much; they praise open source and lock away their IP.

In real life, however, nobody important is actually trying to fork the W3C HTML5 specification. Indeed there are cooperative efforts to restrain the very desire to do so. So the argument for forking that you are raising is both an abstraction and a distraction.

The reason I proposed Option 3 as a compromise is this: It does not require us to acknowledge that W3C can or will prevent the forking of its specifications by copyright. It leaves that battle for another day. It contains no explicit restrictions that are unacceptable features (to FSF) of Options 1 and (to me) of Option 2. By accepting the Option 3 license to create *any* software and its associated documentation -- even under the GPL and Apache licenses! -- we can avoid arguing about the hypothetical forking of specifications until someone comes along who actually wants to do so. It is a battle I will then be glad to join, as always, on the side of freedom.

/Larry

P.S. You also make this point: "....[The] specifications for software are (at least in this case) not software." That's also a distraction and an arguable contention, so I leave my response as a postscript. Take a look at https://softwaretechnews.thedacs.com/stn_view.php?stn_id=56&article_id=178. This is part of my legal argument against Option 2 and against the IETF solution that some praise.

[1] FWIW, here's an article I published in 2004 expressing my distaste for the public domain solution. http://rosenlaw.com/lj16.htm. I haven't changed my mind about this in the years since despite the eloquence of the Mozilla proposal. I'd rather have an enforceable license, thank you very much anyway.