Re: Systematic access to media/plugin metadata

On Apr 12, 2011, at 10:42 AM, Laura Carlson wrote:

> Hi Eric,
>
> On 4/12/11, Eric Carlson <eric.carlson@apple.com> wrote:
>> Laura -
>>
>> On Apr 12, 2011, at 10:14 AM, Laura Carlson wrote:
>>

>>> Silvia, maybe accessing video and audio transcripts would be a another
>>> use case to add. I don't know. Would that be applicable? Transcripts
>>> may be embedded in a video but when people are on a dialup modem, (I
>>> am a majority of the time), they have no way to obtain that transcript
>>> unless the author remembers to supply a link to the transcript in the
>>> body of the document. In this use case they are locked out of all
>>> video content.
>>>
>>  Textual transcripts embedded in a video file are available to script
>> though the Track API [1].
>
> How does the end user obtain the transcripts if there is no script?

  They can't, but as far as I know there is no standard way to mark a text track in an audio or video file as a "transcript" so a script with hard-coded knowledge about the contents of such a movie will be required for this anyway.

  In any case all of the samples in a media file are typically intermixed, eg. a text track will be broken up into small chunks and spread throughout the file. This means that it isn't usually possible to load only a text track, and in your example of a user with a slow network connection it will be necessary to download the entire video file even if they only want the transcript.

eric