Re: PUT and DELETE methods in 200 code

On 05.04.2011 17:37, Cameron Heavon-Jones wrote:
> Do you foresee a scenario where the same request is submitted yet a different response is required? This would be impossible for any service and against the authority of the service to define it's own implementation.

Yes.

> In the example of a combined agent (i'm thinking in the same vein of the old netscape navigator?) wouldn't the different functional contexts define different requests?
>
> Why would a WebDAV service initiate a request with "Accept: text/html" if it doesn't want html?

Unlikely on purpose, but there's a risk that they may be sending a
default because they don't care.

Also, absence of "Accept:" implies "accepts anything", so you wouldn't
be able to do conneg by the spec.

>>> I think a distinction must be made between the response of a GET on the resource to the response of a PUT or DELETE (or even POST) to a resource.
>>
>> Not sure I understand.
>>
>> When the browser does a GET on the authorable resource, do you want to return a simple representation, or a form that allows *editing* that representation?
>
> The representation should be whatever the resource defines... if i had an authorable resource i would probably be inclined to return a simple representation for the base and maybe provide a link to an editable representation, eg:
>
> http://www.example.com/user/123
>
> http://www.example.com/user/123?edit=true
>
> or maybe
>
> http://www.example.com/user/123/profileEditor

True. Like it's done a lot in Wikis.

So, when you serve the form at

   http://www.example.com/user/123?edit=true

where will it direct the PUT to, and what representation would you
expect in the PUT result?

Best regards, Julian