Re: PUT and DELETE methods in 200 code

From: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Date: Mon, 04 Apr 2011 19:16:07 +0200
To: Cameron Heavon-Jones <cmhjones@gmail.com>
CC: mike amundsen <mamund@yahoo.com>, public-html@w3.org
On 04.04.2011 19:08, Cameron Heavon-Jones wrote:
> On 04/04/2011, at 5:54 PM, Julian Reschke wrote:
>> On 04.04.2011 18:20, mike amundsen wrote:
>>> <snip>
>>> </snip>
>>> Why would this be of interest to the server?
>> ...in order to decide whether to return a payload to the UA for display?
>> Again, I don't believe Accept: helps here; it's not a question of media type, but of the client's intent.
>> BR, Julian
> The client's intent is framed by the entire request - URI, headers&  body, Accept is part of that intent.
> If the UA doesn't specify an Accept i would infer that the intent was they it didn't want\couldn't handle any content. If the UA does specify an Accept, i would infer that it is intending to receive content - for that request. That UAs send Accept with every request just means that they want content in every response, IMO - specifications or real world will most certainly vary.

"If no Accept header field is present, then it is assumed that the
client accepts all media types. If an Accept header field is present,
and if the server cannot send a response which is acceptable according
to the combined Accept field value, then the server SHOULD send a 406
(Not Acceptable) response."

Please let's stick with what spec says :-)

Best regards, Julian