Re: PUT and DELETE methods in 200 code

From: Cameron Heavon-Jones <cmhjones@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2011 18:08:57 +0100
Cc: mike amundsen <mamund@yahoo.com>, public-html@w3.org
To: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>

> On 04.04.2011 18:20, mike amundsen wrote:
>> <snip>
>>> The tricky question is: how does the server know that a PUT was the result
>>> of a form submission?
>> </snip>
>>
>> Why would this be of interest to the server?
>
> ...in order to decide whether to return a payload to the UA for display?
>
> Again, I don't believe Accept: helps here; it's not a question of media type, but of the client's intent.
>
> BR, Julian

The client's intent is framed by the entire request - URI, headers & body, Accept is part of that intent.

If the UA doesn't specify an Accept i would infer that the intent was they it didn't want\couldn't handle any content. If the UA does specify an Accept, i would infer that it is intending to receive content - for that request. That UAs send Accept with every request just means that they want content in every response, IMO - specifications or real world will most certainly vary.

cam