Re: ARIA mapping status

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2010 09:45:20 -0700
To: Steven Faulkner <faulkner.steve@gmail.com>
Cc: Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis <bhawkeslewis@googlemail.com>, Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>, HTML WG <public-html@w3.org>, Richard Schwerdtfeger <schwer@us.ibm.com>, Cynthia Shelly <cyns@microsoft.com>, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
On Thu, Sep 9, 2010 at 9:11 AM, Steven Faulkner
<faulkner.steve@gmail.com> wrote:
> There are many elements which currently have no default role specified or
> 'no role' specified as a strong semantic. It appears that currently for the
> 'no role' strong semantic, User Agents must not map them to a role in an
> accessibility API, if I am incorrect in this assumption then I would be
> happier with what's in the spec

You are indeed incorrect.  The only UA requirements in that section
are that they must implement ARIA mapping and they must respect the
defaults listed in the table.  The "strong native semantics" bit is an
*author* conformance requirement - if something has a strong native
semantic of "no role", that means that authors aren't allowed to put
any role on it, because ARIA doesn't currently define an appropriate
role for it.  UAs can do whatever they want to communicate the
element's meaning to the user, if their accessibility APIs are richer
than what is exposed by ARIA.

~TJ