Re: Executing script-inserted external scripts in insertion order

From: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2010 03:52:14 -0700
To: Getify <getify@gmail.com>
Cc: public html <public-html@w3.org>
For those of us who aren't familiar with the products mentioned so far
on this thread, could someone explain why it is interesting to be able
to delay the execution of a batch of scripts until after all those
scripts have been downloaded?

It seems to me like it would be simpler to either have all the scripts
download and execute as they become available, with any dependencies
resolved by having the scripts register to be notified when their
dependencies become available (this tends to be the kind of approach I
usually use), or to have all the scripts concatenated into one JS file
that is downloaded and executed in one go (the latter approach is what
Google tends to use on its sites — it has the side-benefit of reducing
the number of HTTP connections).

My apologies for this rather basic question; I'm rather naïve in these matters.

--
Ian Hickson