Re: HTML5 Profiles - First Editors Draft

On Mon, 24 May 2010 22:11:30 -0400
Manu Sporny <msporny@digitalbazaar.com> wrote:

> It's the latter. That's a good summary of the situation. I don't quite
> understand the reasoning behind XMDP where the first profile overrules
> all other profiles in the attribute. Anyone on here know the reasoning
> behind that decision? It seems backwards.

It's because the HTML 4 rec states that only the first profile in the
list is significant, the others being ignored. XMDP revises this to say
that the first is most significant, and others are listed in decreasing
significance.

Why does HTML 4 make it a whitespace separated list of URIs, if all but
the first should be ignored? Because they recognised the possible
future need for multiple profiles, and wanted to make sure that any
consuming tools were equipped to split the list on spaces.

--
Toby A Inkster
<mailto:mail@tobyinkster.co.uk>