Re: ISSUE-31 Change Proposal

From: Laura Carlson <laura.lee.carlson@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2010 13:30:38 -0500
To: Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net>
Cc: HTMLWG WG <public-html@w3.org>
Hi Sam,

I think/hope that I have now addressed the concerns that you have raised. I:

1. Added rationale for all changes.
2. Removed the reference to the paragraph-section-heading loophole, as
Ian indeed removed it from the spec per as requested in Bug 9217.
I just hope it doesn't reappear in the spec.

In addition, I updated all three of my current proposals for Issue 31.
So far, all together I have three proposals and possibly a fourth.
They are:

1. Replace img Guidance for Conformance Checkers. January 26, 2010.
In this one I tried to incorporate WAI CG's advice.

2. Require alt. Correct Definition to Provide Equality. Replace
Guidance for Conformance Checkers. May 04, 2010. (makes alt and src
attributes equivalent.)
In this one I tried to address Vlad Alexander concerns.

3. Require alt Ala HTML4. Replace img Definition and Guidance for
Conformance Checkers. May 10, 2010.
In this one I tried to address Jonas and T.V Raman's concerns.

Could you please enter 2 and 3 above into the Change Proposal Status

Sam, if I need to do anything else to make these proposals worthy of
consideration, please let me know.

Back in April I also started a variant of the January 26, 2010
proposal, which would be proposal number 4. It incorporates an
incomplete/missing/noalt attribute, which WAI CG said they would not
oppose. But no one has expressed much interest in it. I would need
help to specify the element itself. If people want to discuss and
collaborate that propsal, it is:

4. Add an incomplete/missing/noalt attribute. Replace img Guidance for
Conformance Checkers.

Thank you.

Best Regards,
Laura L. Carlson

On 6/23/10, Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net> wrote:
> This change proposal needs to be updated both in order to provide a
> rationale for each change requested, and to reflect differences from the
> current draft of the document.
> As a concrete example, the proposal provides no rationale for removing
> the paragraph-section-heading "loophole" save for a pointer to a bug
> report, and the resolution of that bug report indicates that that
> condition was removed.  Looking at the current text, this condition is
> indeed no longer present:
> http://dev.w3.org/html5/spec/Overview.html#guidance-for-conformance-checkers
> Other specific examples: There is rationale given for allowing
> role="presentation", aria-label or aria-labeledby as exemptions for alt.
> - Sam Ruby
> On 02/11/2010 03:03 AM, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
>> (+public-html)
>> Hi Laura,
>> I've recorded this as an additional Change Proposal for ISSUE-31:
>> http://dev.w3.org/html5/status/issue-status.html#ISSUE-031
>> (I've suggested previously that you and Ian should work together to
>> identify any changes here that are uncontroversial, so they can be
>> directly applied to the HTML5 draft; I hope the two of you find some
>> time to make progress on that.)
>> Regards,
>> Maciej
>> On Jan 28, 2010, at 2:18 AM, Laura Carlson wrote:
>>> Hello Everyone,
>>> I have drafted a Change Proposal for HTML ISSUE-31.
>>> img element is unclear and does not implement WAI CG's advice on the
>>> validation of short text alternatives. This change proposal replaces
>>> the current guidance with clear guidance that lists all required short
>>> text alternative options that exist to be considered valid. It enables
>>> automatic validators to programmatically detect the presence or
>>> absence of text alternatives.
>>> Full proposal is at:
>>> http://esw.w3.org/topic/HTML/ChangeProposals/ImgElement20090126
>>> Ideas for improvement are most welcome.