ISSUE-32 table-summary - Chairs Solicit Alternate Proposals or Counter-Proposals

From: Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2010 09:15:32 -0400
To: HTML WG <public-html@w3.org>
The current status for this issue:

- We have a Working Group draft that suggests that other techniques be
used to provide explanatory text for complex tables for users of screen
readers, and requires conformance checkers to issue a warning upon
encountering a table summary attribute.
- We have a Change Proposal to add a table@orientation attribute;
make summary non-obsolete and include an extended example; add DOM APIs
to get the headers for a cell; and to retain the warning for summary and
add a warning for tables with a caption, figure legend, or aria-describedby.
- We have another Change Proposal to make the summary attribute fully
conforming and allow visual UAs to optionally expose it.

At this time the Chairs would also like to solicit alternate Change
Proposals (possibly with "zero edits" as the Proposal Details), in
case anyone would like to advocate the status quo or a different
change than the specific one in the existing Change Proposals.

If no counter-proposals or alternate proposals are received by July
23rd, 2010, we proceed to evaluate the change proposals that we have
received to date.

- Sam Ruby