RE: Notes on the draft polyglot document Polyglot document

From: Leif Halvard Silli <xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2010 05:25:59 +0200
To: Eliot Graff <eliotgra@microsoft.com>
Cc: "Simpson, Grant Leyton" <glsimpso@indiana.edu>, Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>, Daniel Glazman <daniel.glazman@disruptive-innovations.com>, HTML WG <public-html@w3.org>
Eliot Graff, Thu, 17 Jun 2010 18:23:26 +0000:
> Any other conversation or objections about the title? Otherwise I am
> going to make the change to the eloquent and persuasively-argued:
>
> Polyglot Markup: HTML-compatible XHTML Documents

I would like you to consider 'HTML polyglots' instead of 'Polyglot
Markup':

   HTML polyglots: HTML-compatible XHTML Documents

Why? Because, TBL, when he started this thread, emphasized that the
spec  "is the definition of *the polyglot set of documents*" (my
emphasis). [1]

And while 'HTML-compatible XHTML Documents' is an excellent
explanation, it would also be good to be able to refer to a specific
document as a 'HTML polyglot' or just 'polyglot' (when the context
allows), as this is shorter and better serve as a identifying name.

Note that 'polyglot' is used as a noun. 'Polyglot' as a noun is simply
a specialized synonym for 'Document'. The source code documents of
polyglot computer programs are typically referred to as 'polyglot(s)'.
Thus we get two synonymous expressions in the title: "HTML polyglots"
means exactly the same as "HTML-compatible XHTML Documnets".

In contrast, 'Polyglot Markup' isn't a phrase that specifically relates
to HTML Markup. And it also isn't a phrase that means 'Document'.

Other advantages: the title then begins with the word 'HTML'. This can
be useful e.g. when looking at this page:
http://www.w3.org/TR/Overview.html

Other issues: That 'HTML' appears twice in row, isn't ideal. But not a
big problem. (By the way: the occurrences of 'HTML' have slightly
different meaning: In 'HTML polyglots" it refers to the vocabulary
known as 'HTML'. In 'HTML-compatible', we use it in the 'text/html'
sense.)

[1] http://www.w3.org/mid/7850A528-CBAC-48DF-865B-463E40442824@w3.org
--
leif halvard silli