Developer and Public Editions Re: Differences between the W3C and WHATWG specifications

From: Karl Dubost <karl+w3c@la-grange.net>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2010 19:21:31 -0400
Cc: HTML WG <public-html@w3.org>, www-archive <www-archive@w3.org>, "Jacobs B. Ian" <ij@w3.org>
To: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
not sure it should be on public-html
reply-to www-archive@w3.org

Le 17 juin 2010 à 07:16, Anne van Kesteren a écrit :
> CSS 2.1 is a good example. We've had plenty of confusion there too with the TR/ version being hopelessly behind (and still is; lots of changes have been made since September 2009).

I guess this discussion is around the

* compromise between Stability vs Implementability
* and maybe also markup, technologies users.

There are people with different needs with regards to specifications and the W3C has to find a way which will make it possible to cater the different type of communities.

Usually,

* implementers need a document which evolves quickly depending on the feedback
* web developers/designers need a document which is stable.

Maybe the W3C could "rebrand" the thing (using tools) with a developer edition and a public edition?
I will ping Ian Jacobs about it. It fits into the discussions going on these days.

--
Karl Dubost
Montréal, QC, Canada