Re: some conformance questions

From: Lachlan Hunt <lachlan.hunt@lachy.id.au>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2010 16:34:43 +0200
To: Steven Faulkner <faulkner.steve@gmail.com>
Cc: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>, HTMLWG WG <public-html@w3.org>
On 2010-06-17 15:37, Steven Faulkner wrote:
>> A presentation by Daniel Glazman at XTech 2006 convinced me that empty
>> structures should be valid. Letting them be valid makes it easier to develop
>> editors>that maintain validity at each editing operation and don't allow
>> invalid intermediate states.
>
> That sounds reasonable, but what about cases where there are empty elements
> <h1>  for example in a published document?

The spec used to have a concept of "significant inline content", which
handled many cases like these.  However, the concept proved too
restrictive and infeasible.  I can't recall the exact details about its
removal, but there should be discussions about its removal in the whatwg
archives, some time in late 2007 or early 2008.

--
Lachlan Hunt - Opera Software
http://lachy.id.au/