Re: Change proposal for ISSUE-85

From: Smylers <Smylers@stripey.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2010 10:36:17 +0100
To: public-html@w3.org
Ian Hickson writes:

> This leaves the following four cases [where validators complaining
> about role=button would have an effect]:
>
>   [Number 3:] The <a> element is semantically a hyperlink but it is
>   styled as a button, and the author is only willing to spend the time
>   to make the minimum possible changes.
>
> In the third case, styling it as a button is bad UI.

Yes.

> An AT user is actually better off not knowing that the link is styled
> as a button

Often, but not always: if a user has been instructed to click the
'Continue' button then it's advantageous for her to know which items on
the page are buttons.

In other words, this case is suboptimal both ways: either with
role=button or without. However, I don't think that's sufficient to
change the balance of your over conclusion:

> I'm not convinced that even if [the 4th] case exists it outweighs the
> advantages of disallowing it for the other cases

Smylers