Re: Change proposal for ISSUE-85

From: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2010 02:16:08 -0700 (PDT)
To: Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>
Cc: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>, Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net>, Steven Faulkner <faulkner.steve@gmail.com>, public-html@w3.org, Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>
"Jonas Sicking" <jonas@sicking.cc> wrote:

> Couldn't this line of reasoning be applied to all elements, resulting
> in no elements being defined as having "strong semantics"?

It could, but I think it shouldn't.

We have a chance of making validators whine about the abuse of new elements and old elements that aren't already commonly abused. I think it's not realistic to stop the use of <a> as a non-link click target. That's why I think <a> usage as non-link click targets, such as button, should be grandfathered into the conformance criteria, but I don't think we should throw out all of "strong semantics" for consistency.

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen@iki.fi