Re: Notes on the draft polyglot document Polyglot document

From: Patrick Ion <ion@ams.org>
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2010 14:21:32 -0400
Cc: Leif Halvard Silli <xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no>, Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>, Daniel Glazman <daniel.glazman@disruptive-innovations.com>, HTML WG <public-html@w3.org>
To: "Simpson, Grant Leyton" <glsimpso@indiana.edu>

On Jun 11, 2010, at 1:51 PM, Simpson, Grant Leyton wrote:

> Persuasively argued. I'm won over.
>
>> 	'Polyglot markup: HTML Compatible XML Documents'

Very good.

However, the suggestion for a change to 'XHTML documents'  yields
the question as to whether this deals _only_ with XTHML, or whether
other XML vocabularies, such as SVG and MathML, may be involved.
That seems to be the case from Section 5

http://dev.w3.org/html5/html-xhtml-author-guide/html-xhtml-authoring-guide.html#namespaces

and  Subsection 6.2.2.2.

>> By the way, what do you think about saying "XHTML" instead of "XML"?
>>
>> 	'Polyglot markup: HTML Compatible XHTML Documents'
>
> This is better yet, since the document deals specifically with XHTML and not other applications of XML.  My only addition would be a hyphen to make "HTML Compatible" into a compound adjective:
>
> "Polyglot Markup: HTML-compatible XHTML Documents"

So I'm doubtful about 'not other applications of XML' and suggest retaining 'XML Documents', even if not all such documents are discussed.
A start is being made.

Patrick Ion
ion@ams.org