Re: Notes on the draft polyglot document Polyglot document

From: Lachlan Hunt <lachlan.hunt@lachy.id.au>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2010 14:14:43 +0200
To: Daniel Glazman <daniel.glazman@disruptive-innovations.com>
Cc: HTML WG <public-html@w3.org>, TAG List <www-tag@w3.org>
On 2010-06-10 08:57, Daniel Glazman wrote:
> Le 10/06/10 02:20, Nathan a écrit :
>
>> Personally I don't see what's wrong with the term 'Polyglot', but
>
> Because my first reaction - with my light linguistics background -
> when I saw the title was "oh a spec for multilingual documents" ?

For computing purposes, the term is already recognised as meaning "...
written in a valid form of multiple programming languages" [1].
Although the words has its roots in linguistics, using its existing
meaning as a computer term is quite reasonable.

FWIW, we had a brief discussion about this a while ago regarding my
HTML5 authoring guide, when I wanted to find a more reader friendly
term, and I ended up settling for polyglot anyway, as it was the most
appropriate term I found.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyglot_%28computing%29

--
Lachlan Hunt - Opera Software