Re: Request for editing guidance

On 06/08/2010 10:21 PM, Ian Hickson wrote:

> [I originally sent this request to the chairs privately, but in the
> interests of transparency I'm reposting it more or less unchanged to the
> public-html list.]

I'll confirm that we had a private conversation, and that what is posted
below is substantially the same content as the private conversation.

I tried (unsuccessfully) to get Ian to actually respond to the decisions
that were posted, but failing to do so and seeing commit 5001 come into
my email, I started focusing on that.

Seeing the WG on the whole repeating much of this (and by that I mean
reacting to what they imagine might have been the reason as opposed to
what actually was said), I will merely request that people try actually
respond to the actual decision, filing bug reports on the process and/or
escallating as they see fit.

[snip]

> Other concrete examples:
>
> Why is ping="" out but hidden="" in?

I encourage people to read and respond to the following email from March:

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2010Mar/0132.html

> Why is microdata in its own draft but class="" not?

I encourage people to read and respond to the following email from January:

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2010Jan/att-0218/issue-76-decision.html

For the tl;dr crowd, all you need to read is the final paragraph.  I
encourage people to weigh for themselves how the factors mentioned in
that paragraph apply to microdata and the class attribute.

> Why is postMessage() split out but showModalDialeg() not?
> Why is the 2D context interface out but ApplicationCache not?

I honestly can't answer that question.  No Work Group decision was made
in either case.  People who are wondering this will need to ask the
person who made that decision.  I encourage people to read and respond
to the following email from Ian from January:

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2010Jan/0320.html

- Sam Ruby