Re: aside and figure elements

From: Bruce Lawson <brucel@opera.com>
Date: Mon, 07 Jun 2010 17:18:16 +0100
To: "Shelley Powers" <shelleyp@burningbird.net>, "Steven Faulkner" <faulkner.steve@gmail.com>, "Laura Carlson" <laura.lee.carlson@gmail.com>
Cc: "HTML WG" <public-html@w3.org>, "HTML Accessibility Task Force" <public-html-a11y@w3.org>
On Mon, 07 Jun 2010 17:05:23 +0100, Laura Carlson
<laura.lee.carlson@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Shelley,
>
> Steve wrote:
>
>>> # when a figure has a <figcaption> the content of the <figcaption>
>>> should act as the accessible name for the image(s) inside the <figure>
>>> if the image(s) do not have a text alternative provided using the alt
>>> attribute.
>
> Shelley wrote:
>
>> Disagree, 100%.
>>
>> The figure element can have a dozen images, two tables, a code block or
>> two, paragraphs, and div elements. The figcaption names all of this, not
>> just the img element (s).
>>
>> The alt attribute must be provided regardless of figcaption, as figure
>> is defined now.
>
> Good catch Shelley. Okay, how about restricting it to:
>
> When a figure has an image as sole content use a  <figcaption> as the
> accessible name for the image. But in scenarios of multiple images in
> a figure element alt rules apply.

 from an education perspective, I think that's a very difficult sell. (It's
difficult enough to sell the concept of alt text full stop, generally).

We'll also have instances where an author adds a second image later /
images are dragged in from a CMS and the "first" image would need
retrospective amendment.

I'd prefer alt="" if the figcaption adequately captions the image or
images, regardless of how many there are.

--
Hang loose and stay groovy,

Bruce Lawson
Web Evangelist