Re: HTML Media Capture draft from Device APIs and Policy Working Group

From: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2010 15:22:54 +0300
Cc: public-device-apis@w3.org
To: "public-html@w3.org WG" <public-html@w3.org>
On Jul 20, 2010, at 18:33, Dominique Hazael-Massieux wrote:

> The Device APIs and Policy Working Group has published a new draft
> called "HTML Media Capture" on which we think we'll need to coordinate
> with your group:
> http://www.w3.org/TR/2010/WD-html-media-capture-20100720/
>
> That document defines a mechanism to bind an <input type=file> with a
> set of well-defined accept attribute values, completed by a mime type
> parameter ("capture"), with an extended file picker (that integrates
> access to on-device microphones, cameras and camcorder) and resulting in
> a MediaFile object that extends the File object from the FileAPI.

Why is the capture parameter needed?

Why wouldn't browsers always allow the use of a capturing device (in addition to picking an existing file) when a page has <input type=file accept='...'> where '...' is a capturable type and there's a suitable capture device available?

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen@iki.fi